Friday, December 20, 2013

Bowl Games and Coaching Search



Bowls Game Predictions Part I

 

    The first week of the Bowl Season is just about to kick off and I have my predictions ready to go..... Usually I am not that interested in some of the 'smaller bowls' but this week has some good matchups. So lets do this!
 
                
   
December 21
 

    Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Fresno State vs USC Trojans.
 
 Never mind the name of the bowl, just look at the teams playing. USC is in a strange transition right now, and that could serve as a pretty big distraction that Fresno State could capitalize on. Fresno State had an up and down season, but they have a pretty good chance of ending on a high note. Up and down season? Yeah, I think USC has had just as strange season as anybody. Lane Kiffin is gone, the Trojans got on a roll, and then they make a questionable hire for their next head coach. In this game, it's hard to predict which USC team will show up. USC has the better athletes, but will they be focused? If there is one thing I have learned this season about USC, it's don't pick against them. I had several weeks in a row that I thought USC would fold...... So, I tell you what, this time I won't pick against them. My Pick: USC 27 Fresno State 21.
 
December 23
 
   Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl: Ohio vs East Carolina.
 I will keep this one short. I like East Carolina and the direction they are headed. Some fans don't realize just how close this team was to being 11-1. They are 9-3 with two losses by a combined FOUR points. Those two losses? One loss to Virginia Tech 15-14, the second to Tulane in overtime 36-33. Their third loss came to Marshall, and it was pretty convincing that Marshall was the better team. Ohio will be overwhelmed in this game. My Pick: East Carolina 34 Ohio 20.
 
  Next week I will continue with my bowl predictions. Now let me move on to a pretty big headline that will continue to overshadow the bowl season......
 
     Who will be the Next Head Coach at Texas?
  
 

   The search is on in Texas. Nick Saban has been ruled out, though some still speculate that Saban is just hanging around at Alabama until after the Sugar Bowl. Other names making the cut? Mike Tomlin, Chip Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, Jimbo Fisher, Charlie Strong, and the list goes on and on.....
  
   I will say this.... At least half of those names above are so far fetched, it's ridiculous..... The other half of those names? Yeah, I still think those are a little bit crazy too.This is supposed to be the most desired job in all of college football, right?  Charlie Strong has said he isn't interested. I know that may not mean much in the view of the public, but he seems like an honest guy. Jimbo Fisher? Yeah, I've seen his name in several articles..... And I ask this question right back: "Why would he leave a program that is headed into another period of dominance?" He just signed another contract with a pretty significant increase in pay. And why would he leave a freshman QB like Jameis Winston? Having a player like that almost guarantees another successful season. I just don't see him leaving Florida State. Oh and I should mention that I left John Gruden off the list intentionally..... Stop dreaming Longhorn nation..... Gruden isn't going to coach in college, he is an NFL guy.
 
    I think out of all the names above, I find Chip Kelly the most interesting.... He has had an up and down season in the NFL, and I would say his future has just as many questions as anybody out there.... I could be way off with this, but he seems to be the one coach in the NFL that I could see go back to the college level for a job like Texas..... Speculation is great, isn't it?
 
    Check back next week for more Bowl Game predictions and of course, anything that develops further with this Texas sized job opening......
 
    Join www.fans25.com and get into any sport discussions..... I have enjoyed this site over the last few months. They discuss anything sports related. The college football fan discussions are great. Talk about any team and find more fans of your favorite team. Check them out.
 
    
 
   
 
  

 

1 comment:

  1. Just discovered your site and I’m a fan. These are some great articles. Will definitely add to my reading list.

    Would be ecstatic if you checked out my blog (http://www.ferventfandom.com/) and gave feedback.

    ReplyDelete